Wednesday 6 February 2013

BBQ pulled pork | ROTW


Hey guys,

A few months ago I set off with the plan to share at least one recipe with you a week. Unlike a lot of students I know, I don't tend to live on beans on toast or microwave meals. I'm one of these weirdos who actually cooks a proper meal every night!
However my vow to share my food with you weekly has failed miserably and I think this is only the second post? Darn it, I really need to stick to these weekly posts!

Anyways, today I've been giving something new a try and I thought I'd share the recipe with you. Because honestly, its super easy & for any of you out there who are (like me) obsessed with TV food shows like Man V Food, I guarantee you'll be drooling at your computer screens once you've finished reading!

So here is my super easy slow cooker pulled pork recipe!




 


    Ingredients:
  • 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
  • 4 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon salt,
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 (4-1/2- to 5-pound) boneless pork shoulder, fat removed.
  • 2 cups barbecue sauce (optional) 

  • 1. Place the chopped onions and garlic in an even layer in the slow cooker and pour in the stock or broth.

    2. Combine the sugar, chili powder, measured salt, cumin, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Pat the pork dry with paper towels & rub the spice mixture all over the pork.
    Place the meat on top of the onions and garlic. Cover and cook until the pork is fork tender, about 6 to 8 hours on high or 8 to 10 hours on low.

    3. Turn off the slow cooker and remove the pork to a cutting board. Set a fine-mesh strainer over a medium heatproof bowl. Pour the onion mixture from the slow cooker through the strainer and return the solids to the slow cooker. Set the strained liquid aside.

    4. Using 2 forks, shred the meat into bite-sized pieces, discarding any large pieces of fat. Return the shredded meat to the slow cooker, add the barbecue sauce, if using, and mix to combine. If you’re not using barbecue sauce, use a spoon to skim and discard the fat from the surface of the strained cooking liquid, and then add 1/4 cup of the liquid at a time to the slow cooker until the pork is just moistened. Taste and season with salt as needed.

    ___________________________________________________

    I seriously recommend if you haven't invested in a slow cooker, to do so. So many of my favourite meals are done in the slow cooker & if you're a student & in & out of your flat/house its ideal!

    In these photos I have pinched my flat mates larger cooker as I have a 1.5lr one that could only fit 1 small joint in. But the upside to mine is it only cost £15 from B&M bargains!
    Otherwise most bigger ones are around the £25 mark in most supermarkets.

    Would you try this recipe?

    Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

    8 comments:

    1. this looks AMAZING! i've never had pulled pork before but i'd love to try this :)

      from helen at thelovecatsinc // youtube

      ps. enter my new giveaway to win the UD naked basics palette, real techniques brushes and essie polishes! click here.

      ReplyDelete
    2. You're right, i am drooling! Will definitely have to invest in a slow cooker for this!

      http://oflambsandlace.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    3. Yum yum yum! I am so trying this! I am the same as you, I always cook proper food, there's no need to live up to every student stereotype eh?!

      Ashleigh x
      lifehighslowsandgarb.blogspot.co.uk

      ReplyDelete
    4. mmmm, looks lovely!

      ReplyDelete
    5. It was pretty darn good!
      - The Creature was amazed & ordered me to cook this more often! So that was a pretty good result.

      BBQ sauce wise, I actually used a cheap bottle of Tesco bottled sauce & added a small amount of tomato sauce to make it slightly sweeter (you don't need anything fancy!)

      ReplyDelete
    6. O wow! I have to try this, just bookmarked it! Seriously looks fabulous!!

      Janelle

      ReplyDelete
    7. YUM! This looks and sounds delicious, will need to try this. One of my new years resolutions was to cook a new thing every week to but I've not been doing that well with it...will need to get back on the wagon. I have heard good things about slow cookers, especially to make soups in the winter :-)
      Lianne x
      Rubyrubyslippers.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    8. Yesss Lianne! - Slow cookers make the most amazing soups!! Especially chicken and veggie ones, the meat just melts in the end!!
      If you do decide to try a chicken & veg soup, I recommend using whole chicken breasts or mini fillets rather than smaller pieces. remove the chicken in the end, blend the veg and then shred the cooked chicken into the soup

      -xo

      ReplyDelete

    Thank you for leaving a comment, I really love reading them all and will try my best to reply to all comments ASAP. If you need to ask a question and want a faster reply then please email me at kerysdumigan@hotmail.co.uk or tweet me at @kerysmarie

    However please be aware, 'follow for follow' comments will be kindly deleted. Please just leave your blog URL and I will visit your site/return a comment.

    Thanks again :)

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...