Sunday 17 February 2013

Dress to Impress | Interview guide

 
Hey beauties!
 
Lately I've been a little job application crazy, with the new shopping centre Trinity Leeds opening next month, many of the shops setting up in there are looking for a tonne of employees!
So far I think I've applied to 40+ different jobs (they are updating the website all the time) & I've had 4 interview opportunities offered to me.
 
My first interview was with Superdry last week. Or rather when I say interview, what I really mean is assessment day.
For those of you who don't know about assessment days, they're basically group interviews, they last around 2 hours & you play games and team building exercises.
Now, although I knew about the concept of these assessment days beforehand, the only interviews I have ever attended have been one on one's with only managers, and have been relatively formal.
So naturally after speaking to my friends and getting a little advice on the wardrobe, I decided to wear a LBD, spiked ballet flats (comfort, I didn't want to be teetering around in my Carvellas playing games!) tights & some pretty cream spiked jewellery.
BIG mistake.
To my actual horror, as I arrived I realised everyone. & I mean everyone, was stood waiting outside the conference room in jeans, jumpers & trainers!
So little ole me and my LBD stuck out like a ginormous overdressed thumb.
 
You're probably shaking you're head the screen right now thinking, "oh Kerys, it's a group interview girl, how did you not realise it would be very informal?!"
I don't know! But I suppose I know now for next time..

 
 On Thursday however I received a nice little out of the blue phone call from Mango when their HR recruiters rang me for a phone interview.. It went pretty well, if you dismiss the fact I answered the phone like a retard thinking it was Creature from his new works number, & shouted "HIYAAAA" as I answered.. 
Woman on phone.. "Erm, hi? is this Kerys?" *facepalm*
But she must have found my phone answering enthusiasm charming because I passed and was put forward for a face to face interview with their Leeds store manager the following day!
Hallelujah!
 
For this interview, I went with he whole formal thing again. I know it didn't look great with Superdry, but this was a face to face with just 1 manager, something I've done a handful of times previously.
I ended up wearing a little red knit skater dress, black tights & my black Carvella heels. Which to be honest served me quite well!
The manager even complimented my outfit and we had a little giggle about the probability of me falling over in my heels before the end of the day!
 
These photo's weren't taken on the day of interview.
My hair was actually a lot smarter than this! - all flipped to one side with barrel curls.

Finally I had a short interview with Pandora on Wednesday, with the possibility of a full interview on a later date if they see potential.
I was offered the second interview but...

I GOT THE JOB AT MANGO!!
So unbelievably happy, I'm going to be a team member at the brand new Mango store opening in Trinity Leeds in March! - So if you're a Yorkshire local, come and say hi!

The Do's

DO wear something comfortable.
If you're going to wear heels make sure you can walk more than a few meters without feeling like you'll fall over!

DO try your best to look smart.
If its a one on one, wear something sophisticated but still represents your personality (this can be done with jewellery or something patterned like a scarf)
And if you're going to an assessment day, wear your best jeans and a smart top, something with freedom to move in but still fashionable.

DO accessorize.
If your interviewing within retail, if you own any pieces from their store, e.g. A handbag, necklace etc. Wear/take them with you, it shows you have taken an interest in the company before.

The Don'ts

DON'T wear too much makeup
Keep it simple and don't go overboard with the eyeliner or dark eye shadows.

DON'T look sloppy.
Iron your clothes before you go! Nothing worse than a creased dress!

DON'T wear a short skirt.
They look great on a night out, but something nearer knee length is better. If you do wear something a little shorter, wear tights.

DON'T wear something too revealing
You want a job offer not a date. If you're going to wear something lower cut Make sure your legs are covered, & visa versa. (and when I say low cut, I don't mean full boobies on show either!)
 
What do you think I should wear to my next interview?
Have you got any embarrassing job interview stories or tips?

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
 

12 comments:

  1. Standing out for being smart can only be a good thing as it shows you are presentable etc so I wouldn't worry too much about being the only smartly dressed person at the Superdry interview! I don't know who thinks to go to any sort of assessment dressed in what you would wear to the pub anyway! Good luck with the applications :)

    http://fillmylittleworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks doll :) - I didn't get the Superdry job in the end but I have high hopes for Mango :)
    I agree with the pub comment, but honestly, every one of them were wearing jeans, plaid shirts or oversized jumper etc. They all looked lovely, but I just wasn't expecting that for an interview!!

    -xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, another Leeds blogger! I'm dying for the new Trinity shopping centre to open I pass it everyday but I'm still not sure how they're going to pull it all together in time for release. I've been super good and not even spoiled what stores are opening so that it'll be more exciting when I finally go to browse (#shopaholicproblems ?)

    I think your outfits are adorable and I would always dress to impress and it certainly seems like it worked for you. Best of luck with the rest of the interview process, perhaps I'll see you in store soon (not in a creepy way!) D:

    Y http://www.techbunny.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! good job I'm not easily freaked out ;) - Yes hopefully something pulls through for me.
    & I know, totally excited for the opening, apparently Mango are going to be in there and prepping the store in two weeks & the whole place opens on the 24th March (I think)
    - Not long to get their arses into gear & finish building ehh

    -xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's way better to be overdressed rather then underdressed, show's you care, this is coming from someone who held interviews for a corporate job for quite a bit and we always notice the clothes!!

    I loved the red dress!!

    Newest follower from the Beauty Blogger Bunch <3

    xo
    Ange

    www.hairsprayandhighheels.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats really comforting to know! Thanks Ange :)
    -xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post lovely. Great outfits:) x

    http://beautifulworldoflennynb.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Ange, I always rather would be overdressed. Taking that amount of time to look your best puts off a great first impression! Great post!

    Xo
    Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. great tips!! shared this on my facebook

    http://www.candyliquor.co.uk
    UK High Street Fashion & Style
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww thanks girlys, its really comforting to know I'm not the only one who thinks smart dress is the way forward.

    & thanks for sharing it Chloe!!
    -xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's amazing - congrats on the job hun. You will probably get a nice discount too :)

    Be great if you could check out my post on how to wear graphic jumpers for SS13

    I am also running my 1st blog giveaway here where you could win MAC, Jewellery plus other goodies.

    Thanks! Charlie xx LurchHoundLoves.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everyone has found it stunning, I think it will be the most beautiful thing my future husband will ever see. Thanks a million the designer!
    Rebecca Minkoff Bags

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I really love reading them all and will try my best to reply to all comments ASAP. If you need to ask a question and want a faster reply then please email me at kerysdumigan@hotmail.co.uk or tweet me at @kerysmarie

However please be aware, 'follow for follow' comments will be kindly deleted. Please just leave your blog URL and I will visit your site/return a comment.

Thanks again :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...